Saturday, August 4, 2007

Part 2 : A Collection of Image Comics 1st


Hello nothingness, its me again.

Relative to my previous post, heres a collection of my Image Comics first issues, i have more Image titles collected than Marvel's way back when I was still collecting comicbooks as a hobby because Image was still starting out, like a defiance to Marvel and DC at that time, making a dent on the industry somehow, i wonder how theyre faring right now....

Above is the first issue of one of my very favorite anti-hero (am I right in saying this?) the Maxx, Wolverine being the first and Jack Hawksmoore in third. If you want weird and quirky story lines, Sam Kieth's the man...

Image Comics answer to the XMen... Jim Lee's WildCATs, top notch superhero art team, even now i can't shake off Jim Lee's drawing style, my drawings tend to copy his, while struggling to have a style of my own, to the point that i stopped drawing, i wanted it to be more on Sam Kieth but still to no avail...sigh...

This comicbook inspired me and a friend of mine to cook up our own super heroes and hopefully get noticed, one of those futile moments in our lives, i've read Whilce Portacio's work on XMen and never realized until this one came out that he's a Filipino (i don't buy Wizard, thus, ill-informed), which is why in one of the Uncanny Xmen issues he did i noticed a panel wherein Colossus was wearing a leather jacket bearing a logo at the back resembling vaguely of our flag.

This is one of Jim Lee's coolest creations (in my opinion), he changed his drawing style here to fit the story, somewhat dark and gloomy and serious as hell, lots of shadows and lighting techniques and its one of them reasons why i really admire Jim Lee, he can change abruptly to a different technique and its even better. reminds me of Frank Miller's Sin City and Daredevil work. On the flip side to this first Deathblow issue is Nick Manabat's Cybernary which is cooler still, because he was a Filipino (he died of cancer at 23 at the height of his career) like Whilce. He drew one of the coolest stuffs, very unique and refreshing. Pity he died too soon, he would have been one of the greats by now (internationally), here he is a legend in pinoy comicdom.

Well, thats about it for Image Comics, I have a couple of their titles but not there first issues though, like my favorite Stormwatch. Anyone interested to know more about these stuffs, you can always email me and im more than willing to accomodate. Nuff said.






No comments: