Saturday, January 26, 2008

My Sony Ericsson P1i



Hello nothingness...

Anyone of you people who's ever read my previous post, I usually rant about my being a gadget freak and when it comes to mobile phones, I'm a freak. Well, last years holidays I bought a replacement phone as a gift to myself while my Motorola was still (and is still in a state of disrepair now) in the service center for repairs. I constantly badgered my fiancé (and yes, I already proposed to her hand in marriage this 2008....hehehehehe) about buying a new cellphone until she cracked.

I already made three choices in my head at that time on what to buy and mainly 2 factors have urged me to choose them, firstly, budgetary constraints of which being around P10k to P14k max, secondly, I have to have a smartphone (Symbian S60, UIQ3 or Windows Mobile which I’m eager to get my hands on and try but due to its models coming out with a hefty price tag that hampered me on buying one) this time because mainly I miss having one. I ended up choosing between Nokia E61i and Sony Ericsson P990i and P1i and O2 XDA Mini II. I kinda narrowed it down to E61i and P1i because P990i was too bulky and getting too common and O2 XDA Mini II was already too outdated but still cool looking. I was ready to buy the E61i if not for my GF who told me to buy P1i instead because she don’t like it, that it was too broad and calculator like, while the P1i was cooler more hip like. I still would’ve liked the E61i though but she has the final say. Hands down.

Well, I’m terribly enjoying the user experience with the P1i day by day. It’s a cool phone to have and I’ve already soft modified it to my needs (change the short cut icons, made a theme or two and updated its firmware), installed applications and games and stuff. I’ve even upgraded its firmware twice now from their website and much has improved over the daily usability of the phone. It can be a camera at one time and a PDA the next and a phone at once and it can even be an mp3 and video player and mini gaming machine to boot. Hell yeah. But there is no such things a perfect gadget, not in my lifetime I guess. So, there are minor quirks that I can point out. Wifi connection can be a pain to configure, at least to my office connection that is. I can’t seem to get it to surf the damn world wide web even if the prompt on the phone told me that its already paired up with the office WLAN. And also, even now I am unable to send MMS even if I already configured it to do such, maybe it’s a network issue but I haven’t had the time to go to the nearest Globe outlet and have them figure it out for me. 3G usage I also haven’t; had the opportunity to test with due to the latter gripe. These are all minor quirks (and there’s some others too) that I don’t mind having as of this time. Well, one can’t have everything. Nuff said.

No comments: